Hey guys,
My custody divorce has been drawn out in the Tarrant County, TX, family court for 3 1/2 years! I was appointed “temporary” sole managing conservator (sole custody) 2 1/2 years ago in July. The kids, 4 and 6, now 8 and 10, are doing great and I am very blessed and have lots to be grateful for.


After 4 days of hearings in July, my grave concerns were validated and her “fiancee’, a convicted child molester, was ordered removed from the children’s lives. Later, we were ordered to mediation twice in the next year or more. She will not accept anything but her having custody. Since, I have had trial dates set and canceled five times in the last year.

She continues to exhibit despicable judgment and behavior. The social worker and psychiatrist continue to recommend I keep the kids. She has now hired her forth attorney to muddy the waters. My life has been on hold for more than three years now!
Gender Bias: Texas law states that gender will not be considered, but I know that a woman would not have to endure such “I’ll take you all down with me” tactics by a man who had previously lost his parental rights in court. She has nothing to lose by firing attorneys, filing pro-se, hiring new attorneys, stonewalling good-faith mediation, stalling discovery and productions (I have had 4 full discovery requests in the last year)

In addition, she has been ordered to pay “zero” child support.

They had me “escrow” a profit-sharing check (as if they couldn’t have known that the money was just going to the attorney’s anyway).
I have had zero attention given to any of my financial matters (she is paying only 1 of five commercial loans on a hobby business I started- she claims to be her “employment”. She was given control of it (3 years of my hard work)in the very first “closed chambers” hearing in ’98 without so much as a fight because my attorney wanted to keep our focus on the kids.

She has now moved less than two blocks away from my home. She picks fights in public, comes uninvited to my property and even climbed into my truck in front of my son and wouldn’t get out. I have called the police once, but should have on three other occasions but didn’t because the kids were present. It goes on and on.

Recently, my attorney got the judge to give the case up because he went from April 16, to August 20, to October15, to next year – MARCH 4 for our next trial date! This started in August!

Lots more Dads issues embedded in this case, running out of energy… and money. Any suggestions?

Yesterday, in Wichita County, Texas, I was given custody of my two boys. Besides feeling relieved that they are no longer under the abusive care of my soon to be ex, I am estatic that they are with me again. I know we are not supposed to advertise here, but i would like to take a moment to thank Mr. Bruce Martin (my new attorney) and suggest him to anyone in this area who is fighting for their kids. He ain’t cheap, but you get what you pay for. Some things I learned from this experience so far:

Document EVERYTHING, regardless of how insignificant;

Become involved at their school (you will get more info about them, and will have some friends when you go to court, I had a lot of the school staff at my hearing yesterday);

Do not become discouraged. Easier said than done, but those that would keep you from you kids depend on you giving up, and then they use the fact that you gave up as proof that you didn’t really want the children to begin with;

Refrain from knee jerk reactions. You WILL be lied to. When dealing with organizations such as CPS or DYFS, find out EXACTLY what they can and can’t do, and if they make an outrageous statement, ask for it in writing. If it is true, they will not hesitate.

Buy a small tape recorder ($25 at any retail store) I do not know about other states, but Texas law says that if ONE party of a conversation knows the conversation is being recorded, it is legal.

Hope this helps, and I will keep ypu updated as I now begin to fight for custody of my non biological daughter, whom I have raised since birth. That will be a long and arduous fight, but I am fortified by my recent victory. I question many time if I was doing the right thing during this, but walking out of that court room with my boys was WELL worth the fight…

I go back to court Monday fighting for custody of my daughter (12) who lives with me full time. My ex is fighting but it’s really about the money she’ll lose and unfortunately not because she cares for our daughter.

She is claiming hardship while I’m claiming she has unreported income. I’m looking for Californina case law or decisions that attribute income based on regular expenses that meet claimed income.

This is really about me being able to financially support our daughter instead of the ex.

Thanks in advance

If this is a recent ruling and the lower court, you probably have some time to appeal to a higher court. Of course it may be more money for her lawyer… but you can always pay him/her slowly…If you can, it might be a good idea as it could save you money over a long run or again the new court may uphold the lower court.

I imagine that Alaska has a child support chart as all states do. Sometimes lawyers especially for the other side will try to make an agreement outside of that chart which can happen through intimidation and steamrolling. If you agree to pay more than the chart, than that ends up being the stipulation…If you lose your job, or if her economic situation changes, new job etc, then you can ask for a modification. You can do it Pro-se no lawyer.

In some states if there is a modification of child support only there is no filing fee. She will however probably have that same lawyer…unless he thinks you pay too slowly…Good Luck. Eventually all children grow into adulthood and everything does pass.

Thank you for the input! My current lawyer thinks it would be unwise to appeal the decision as the same judge will hear it. However My current lawyer also failed to provide the court with the documentation showing my current wage and what it computes to in child support. For that matter the years earnings that my child support was based on is the year previous to my daughters birth.

A year I worked two jobs and lots of overtime.I did get awarded 35% of travel expenses as I live 375 miles from my daughter. However that is to be deducted from my yearly income for computation purposes.Even then I still would pay nearly 100$ more a month. Yes you are right all children grow into adulthood but it is the years in between my daughter will need me the most.

I began my custody dispute 11 months ago. All I asked for was that my child support be brought in line with my actual income and that I be allowed to reasonable visitation with my daughter. I received the visitation I wanted but got shafted on the support. My support was set at 128 dollars more a month than it should have been and I was assigned to pay 1500 of her lawyer bill.

Until we went to court I had not once had my daughter and the mother saw no reason for me to have access to her. She was the one preventing my daughter from having a father and I have to pay her bill. I just don’t understand. Not only that but why do I have to pay such high child support. Anyway enuff rambling, any guys in Anchorage Alaska who can give me suggestions feel free to email me…. I am looking for a new lawyer also.